Copyright © League of Women Voters of Evanston
Serving the people of Evanston & Skokie, Illinois, since 1922.
LWVE Program for 2020-2021
At the May 20, 2020 League of Women Voters of Evanston Annual Meeting (on Zoom,) members in attendance online approved five areas of focus for the 2020-2021 local program. Leaders in each area will be taking steps in the coming weeks to define plans for the year, and they need your involvement! To get involved in any of these areas, email: email@example.com
1. Affordable Housing: LWVE will engage in study and action to support and amplify local efforts to identify and remove barriers to housing affordability through changes to municipal ordinances, regulations, and processes.
2. Climate Action: LWVE will back state and national League of Women Voters climate action priorities and will support the City of Evanston in implementing its Climate Action and Resilience Plan.
LWVE is committed to helping reach the City of Evanston's goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2050. Our committee has spotlighted helpful information on ways to reduce Individuals' carbon footprint by at least 5000 pounds by May 31, 2021. Read the Carbon Diet Sampler, and take the Carbon Diet Pledge. Watch a recorded presentation of Drinks & Dialogue: Reducing Your Carbon Footprint on YouTube.
3. Criminal Justice Reform: LWVE will respond to a request from LWVIL to review LWVIL proposed revision to its Criminal Justice position(s). A committee is working on preparation for our consensus report– due to the LWVIL by January 31, 2021. Our criminal justice system is not only ineffective but unjust in many ways, and the League position statement needs to be updated to support our advocacy. We’re planning programs and discussions this fall and consensus meetings in January.
The LWVIL has provided extensive resources on their website to support our efforts to understand the issues and achieve consensus.
Our committee has summarized the background information for each of the 14 Consensus Questions. Help us prepare by reviewing the Criminal Justice Reform Summary.
4. Fair Tax Amendment: LWVE will be an active member of the LWVIL effort, in concert with the Responsible Budget Coalition, to adopt the Fair Tax Amendment (graduated state income tax) at the time of the November 2020 election.
5. Voter Turnout Initiative: LWVE will develop and implement a plan to increase voter turnout in future elections, with a focus on youth and local elections, in accordance with the findings and recommendations of the Voter Turnout Initiative project conducted in 2019-2020. Read the report.